DRY CREEK (WARM SPRINGS DAM) RESTORATION STUDY
PROJECT LOCATION AND DESCRIPTION:
The project is located along Dry Creek, below USACE Warm Springs Dam (WSD) and near the City of Healdsburg in Sonoma County, CA. The project will restore approximately 47 acres of stream, floodplain and riparian habitat along 2.6 miles of stream. Restoration measures include increasing habitat complexity and improving hydrologic connectivity with the floodplain by constructing combinations of riffles, large wood structures, backwaters, side channels, and alcoves pool features. Riparian habitat will be improved through invasive species reduction and riparian revegetation with native species.
Project construction is scheduled in three phases as follows:
- Phase I: Construction scheduled for 2021-2022 along 1.0 mile of upper Dry Creek.
- Phase II: Construction scheduled for 2022-2023 along 0.65 miles of Dry Creek.
- Phase III: Construction scheduled for 2023-2024 along 0.95 miles of lower Dry Creek.
TOTAL COST $ 49,106,000
FEDERAL COST $ 31,752,000
NON-FEDERAL COST $ 17,354,000
TOTAL FEDERAL COST THROUGH FY 2020 $ 31,752,000
FY 2021 BUDGET $ 0
COST TO COMPLETE $ 0
Includes Feasibility (50/50) and PED (75/25) funding.
FY 20 ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- Complete Draft 99% designs
- Execute PPA
FY 21 ACCOMPLISHMENTS
- The Project Partnership Agreement was signed in December of 2020 and currently the planning and design work for the first construction contract is ongoing.
ISSUES AND OTHER INFORMATION
- The Sonoma County Water Agency (SCWA) is the Non-Federal Sponsor (NFS).
- A Biological Opinion (BO), issued by the National Marine Fisheries Service, mandates that SCWA and USACE perform various Reasonable and Prudent Measures to save threatened and endangered salmonid species. Implementation of this ecosystem restoration project will help comply with these BO requirements.
- While construction was scheduled to commence in 2021, real estate negotiations between landowners and the non-Federal Sponsors have delayed construction until Spring of 2022.
- 2nd District, Rep. Jared Huffman
- 5th District, Rep. Mike Thompson
POINT OF CONTACT
- Deputy for Project Management, Edwin S. Townsley, (415) 503-6593.
Updated on 05 April 2021
Click Map to Zoom In