US Army Corps of Engineers
San Francisco District

Contact

Bay Model Visitor Center

2100 Bridgeway

Sausalito, CA 94965

Phone: 415-332-3871

Fax: 415-289-3004

Sausalito History

 

                          

 

Originally Sausalito was home to the Miwok Native Americans. The city was discovered in 1775 by the Spanish explorer Juan Manual de Ayala. At that time Juan Manual de Ayala named the city “Sausalito”, meaning little willow. For more than a century the waterfronts of Sausalito has taken shelter to full-rigged sailing ships.

To more about Sausalito’s History please visit the
Sausalito Historical Society’sWebsite:
http://www.ci.sausalito.ca.us/Index.aspx?page=500