Call (707) 467- 4200

US Army Corps of Engineers 

1160 Lake Mendocino Drive

Ukiah, California 95482

Special Use Permits

Gather at Lake Mendocino

Special Use Permits at a Glance


(Click on the logo) to print out our Special Use Permit Application and information.


Here are some things you should know:

Each permit is evaluated on a case-by-case basis. If you have questions about whether you need a permit call (707) 467-4200 to talk to the Special Use Permit Coordinator.

There is a $50 non-refundable application fee for each permit. This is often waived with proof of 501(c)3 non-profit status.

Golden Age and Golden Access and "America the Beautiful" discounts passes do not apply.  This is a permit fee not a day use fee.

In addition to the Special Use Permit Application, you are responsible for reserving your desired location(s) by calling 1-877-444-6777 or on the Internet at

Special Use Permits are available on a first come first served basis.

All necessary forms and certificates must be received in our office a minimum of two (2) weeks prior to the event. Lack of required paperwork may result in a rejected special use permit application.

Additional fees and specific Special Use Requirements may be required by the Park Manager. You will be notified in writing with specific costs and requirements before your application is approved.

How do You Know if You Need a Permit?

Ask yourself the following questions if you are trying to decide if you need a special use permit for your event at Lake Mendocino:

  • Are you asking to use a facility or additional facilities that are not regularly available to the general public?
  • Are you asking for assistance from Lake staff at your event?
  • Will your event affect or impact other visitors or campers?
  • Will you need more space than a reservable picnic shelter can provide?




Events requiring Special Use Permits include but are not limited to:

  • Races
  • Specialized training such as Search and Rescue Canine Training
  • Fishing Tournaments
  • Large family reunions, weddings, or similar events
  • Parties with inflatable jumphouses (inflatable and non-inflatable waterslides are not allowed at this time)
  • Parties with Amplified Music, Bands, or DJ’s
  • Music Festivals
  • Senior Native American Day
  • Boy/Girl Scout Camps
  • Events that will exceed the reserve shelter capacity
  • Events that charge a registration or entrance fee (all fees must be collected off of Lake Mendocino property.